Chasing simplicity. Thoughts on being alive.

Powered by Blogger.

SNIPPETS

The pregnant young hairdresser cut my hair with the utmost precision. It was a Monday morning, the the budget hair salon was characteristically devoid of people, as the bulk of clients frequent on the weekends.  ‘How far along are you?’- I asked. ‘I’ve got six weeks to go’- she answered as her stool swiftly glided from my left to my right. We exchanged more words. She told me it was her first. Then she made eye contact with me in the mirror, her scissors stopped- ‘It’s going to be my only child. I’ve always wanted a family of three that travels overseas. Not a family of four that only goes camping’.

***

When my mind is quiescent, when the worries stop and the letting go happens, I breathe deep.  I release the tense shoulders and neck muscles. I read novels while letting the bookkeeping pile. I lounge around in my dressing gown drinking matcha tea and enjoy my son deeply; my hands trace the contours of his round rosy cheeks while my arms gently wrap him in a light squeeze. Gratitude trickles into my heart and life suddenly becomes very bearable.

***

I {wrote about this} before. Now, strangely, I am my bag. I identify with the object so deeply it feels as though it is an extension of my being. Small, unadorned and weighs next to nothing. It’s a cheap calico bag.
I don’t like the crisp new bag but with use, the fabric crinkles. Harsh lines form as the objects inside the bag yield to gravity. Light stains appear and the bag strap softens and moulds its way around my shoulder. It is comfortable. I feel at home.

No comments